Now that your brand’s social media presence is established and you have a growing community of followers on Facebook and Twitter, what’s the next step? How do you keep them coming back for more? The reality of the matter is that getting people to keep up with you via social media is half of the battle. Consumers today are fickle and with so many options at their finger tips it is your job to keep them interested in your company. Is it more important to know what your followers want or what they don’t want? ExactTarget.com recently did a study on the top 10 reasons that brands lose followers on Facebook and Twitter. The top three reasons that people tend to “unlike” and “unfollow” brands on Facebook and Twitter are:
1. The company posted too frequently.
2. Wall was becoming too crowded with marketing posts and I needed to get rid of some of them.
3. The content became repetitive or boring over time.
In short, content is the main issue when it comes to staying connected. You must be in tune with both the quality and quantity of the content that is being fed to your fans.
The brands that are not only keeping their current followers but gaining more are those who are offering valuable, engaging information. Being able to provide them with information that is consistent and dependable will take you a lot further. Provide your consumers with exclusive marketing content that they can get from you and only you. This will keep them coming back for more.
People want to be a part of a conversation and it is your job to begin the conversation and keep the interaction alive. Ask people for suggestions, ideas and testimonials so that they are more apt to interact with your brand. People want to connect and to be connected with and this is the reason that they turn to social media outlets. Here are some suggestions for interacting with consumers on behalf of your small business:
- Ask trivia questions and the fan with the first correct answer can win something small like a $10 gift certificate for your business. Those interacting will have fun, learn something new and will now have an excuse to try out your business.
- Post interesting pictures of products or events held at your venue and encourage your fans to comment on the pictures and share their photos as well. A great picture can spark up a lot of conversation!
- Let your fans and followers shape your business. Ask them what products or services they’d like to see you offer. This is a great way to increase interaction as well as give your customers what they want which could result in more business for you.
- Once a week encourage your fans to ask questions – this is especially helpful if you have a wealth of knowledge in a confusing industry such as law or real estate.
How does your small business keep customers engaged? Let us know in the comments section.
Davanti Digital Media is a full-service Digital Marketing Agency based in NJ. Davanti Digital specializes in customizing Social Media and Mobile Marketing Solutions for small and mid-size businesses, as well as corporate enterprises. Need help engaging consumers and growing your Social Media presence? Contact Davanti Digital Media today.